Blog Archive

Thursday 11 April 2013

C1800 Chinoiserie Marquetry & pattern

Went drawing today - took myself
off to the Lady Lever Art Gallery in Port Sunlight with a couple
of moleskine sketchbooks and my brush pen and watercolours. Headed straight to an item I had spotted at the end of my last trip - a small elaborately crafted cabinet within another cabinet. Did different drawings of it but was really struck by the complexity of the decorative form on the marquetry inside the cabinet. In1800 this item would have been a total visual bombardment to those fortunate enough to see it. It would be easy to look at it for hours and hours to marvel at the skill and imagination of those who created it. I stopped to
look at it and it has inspired me. It may well trigger Intaglio projects which build in repeating pattern forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment